15 Best Oils for Faster Hair Growth Right Now
If adding oil to your hair care routine seems odd and counterintuitive, you don’t know what you’re missing.
The right oils (no, not the vegetable oil sitting in your pantry) are light enough to be absorbed by the hair shaft, and can restore moisture to a dry and brittle mane.
They can boost hair growth, too, which is what every woman wants – longer, fuller and shinier hair.
#1 – Apricot Kernel Oil
Cold-pressed from the kernels of the apricot fruit, this oil is fantastic for hair growth and hydration. It’s similar to sweet almond oil in thickness, and it’s rich in linoleic and oleic fatty acids, which improve scalp health.
The linoleic acid in apricot kernel oil is a type of omega-6 fatty acid that research shows can help stimulate hair growth.
Acting as an emollient, this fatty acid prevents evaporation, sealing moisture into your hair. This oil is also rich in vitamins E and A, which support healthy skin and promote skin repair.
Keep in mind: Apricot oil can soothe a dry scalp, help eliminate dandruff and help treat psoriasis. Just use it as a leave-in conditioner or add it to your conditioner to boost hair growth.
#2 – Argan Oil
Argan oil has been getting a lot of attention, and it’s easy to see why. This ultra-light oil is loaded with fatty acids and nutrients that your hair craves.
- Extracted from the kernels of the argan tree, this oil is rich in vitamin E, which boosts hair growth by improving scalp health.
- It moisturizes the scalp, too, which prevents dandruff that can hinder hair growth.
- Applying argan oil to the ends of your hair can help to avoid split ends that slow down your hair’s natural growth pace.
Pure argan oil is expensive, but you can also purchase conditioners, shampoos and styling products that contain this nourishing oil.
My advice: If you have the budget, buy the pure oil and use it to create your own hot oil treatments, or apply it as a leave-in conditioner.
#3 – Avocado Oil
Lightweight and nutrient dense, avocado oil helps boost hair growth in many ways:
- For starters, it’s a great source of the healthy fats your scalp and hair needs. The monounsaturated fats in avocado oil nourish the scalp, which promotes healthy growth.
- It acts as an excellent moisturizer, too, so your scalp doesn’t dry out and flake.
- Like the other oils on this list, avocados also contain high amounts of vitamin E, which keep skin healthy and prevents free radical damage.
Pay attention: To maximize the hair growth benefits of avocado oil, massage it into your scalp to stimulate blood flow while moisturizing and nourishing your hair and scalp.
#4 – Bhringraj Oil
This oil is extracted from the bhringraj, which is native to India, Thailand, China and Brazil. Also known as the “false daisy,” bhringraj is commonly used in Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine).
This oil is often used to treat alopecia areata because it helps stimulate hair growth. It can even help prevent premature graying!
Keep in mind: With antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, this oil can soothe an irritated scalp while keeping it healthy to improve hair growth.
#5 – Burdock Root Oil
Naturally found in Asia and Europe, the burdock plant is rich in chlorogenic acid, phytosterols, calcium, iron, flavonoids, lactone, inulin, potassium, essential fatty acids and a host of other nutrients.
It also contains all the amino acids needed to build the protein that creates your hair.
Burdock root has been used for centuries as a way to promote healthy hair growth, improve scalp health and relieve irritation.
The best way to maximize the benefits of this nourishing oil is to use it as part of a scalp massage. Apply the oil to your scalp, and gently use your fingers to rub the oil into your roots for 5-10 minutes.
#6 – Castor Oil
Castor oil is one of the essential oils used for hair growth. An ancient beauty treatment, this thick oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties.
This substance has a lot to offer:
- It’s rich in vitamin E, proteins, minerals and omega fatty acids.
- Castor oil also contains unusually high amounts of ricinoleic acid, which is particularly beneficial for hair and skin.
- The antifungal and antibacterial properties of this oil help prevent folliculitis, scalp infections and dandruff.
- The ricinoleic acid boosts circulation to the scalp, which promotes hair growth.
- It also balances scalp pH, which helps restore your scalp’s natural oils.
Pay attention: The antioxidants in this oil work to protect your hair’s keratin while smoothing away frizz and strengthening strands.
#7 – Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the most versatile and useful oils on the planet. But it’s especially beneficial for your hair.
- Like castor oil, coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help prevent scalp infection and folliculitis.
- It also keeps the scalp balanced and helps restore your hair’s natural oils.
- Rich in fatty acids, coconut oil also hydrates the hair and scalp, which naturally promotes faster hair growth.
- Antioxidants also work to protect your hair.
Pay attention: Many people combine coconut and castor oil together to create a strengthening, growth-promoting hair treatment.
#8 – Jojoba Oil
Extracted from the seeds of the jojoba tree, this oil is light and nearly identical to your skin’s natural oils.
This nourishing oil contains all of the nutrients your skin needs to stay healthy, which promotes a healthy scalp and hair growth.
Pay attention: Jojoba oil also has the power to remove hair residue, while having a cooling effect on the scalp. This makes it an excellent hair conditioner, too, and keeps follicles moisturized to prevent hair fall.
#9 – Olive Oil
That same oil you love to use in salads and cooking can also be used as a hair and scalp treatment to promote hair growth.
- Olive oil is rich in fatty acids that moisturize, strengthen and protect hair.
- It also keeps the scalp moisturized, which prevents dandruff and keeps the follicles nourished.
Pay attention: Applying warm olive oil to your scalp will act as an effective hot oil treatment to keep your hair hydrated and help boost hair growth. Here is a full list of its benefits for your hair.
#10 – Sesame Oil
Sesame oil may not be as famous as other oils, but it’s just as effective at promoting hair growth. Like castor and coconut oil, sesame oil has natural antimicrobial properties that keep the scalp healthy and balanced.
This alone helps boost hair growth.
#11 – Cedarwood Essential Oil
With a woodsy and earthy aroma, cedarwood essential oil has been used as a hair growth aid for centuries. It stimulates the hair follicles and improves circulation to the scalp.
Improved circulation feeds your follicles the nutrients it needs to promote healthy, natural growth. It slows hair loss to a halt, allowing new growth to come through.
What is more, it is:
One study found that the combination of cedarwood, lavender, rosemary and thyme essential oils improved hair growth in 44% of participants after seven months of treatment.
Pay attention: Just add a little cedarwood oil to your conditioner or shampoo, or create your own deep treatment to boost growth. You can also just massage the oil into your scalp, and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
#12 – Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is known for its calming effects, but it can boost hair growth, too:
- Its antibacterial and antifungal properties keep the scalp clean and healthy.
- Lavender can also keep your follicles free of sebum buildup that can lead to hair loss.
Keep in mind: When combined with cedarwood, rosemary, and thyme, lavender can significantly improve hair growth while soothing an irritated scalp and keeping your follicles nourished.
#13 – Peppermint Essential Oil
When talking about hair growth, peppermint isn’t usually the first essential that comes to mind. But it can work wonders to boost growth while keeping your scalp healthy:
- Peppermint has anti-inflammatory properties, which soothes away irritation on the scalp and hair follicles.
- It also has a tingling effect, boosting circulation to the scalp and follicles.
- On top of all these benefits, it acts as an astringent, clearing your pores and giving your scalp a chance to breathe and making room for nourishing oxygen.
Try adding just a few drops of peppermint oil to your shampoo or conditioner, or mix it with one of the oils in part 1 to maximize your hair growth potential.
Just one word of caution: Don’t apply the oil directly to your scalp. Dilute it with a carrier oil before applying it to your scalp. Otherwise, you may experience some irritation or have an allergic reaction.
#14 – Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary is arguably the most famous essential oil for hair growth. Its sweet piney smell can be strong, but studies show that this oil stimulates hair growth.
Many claim that it can also slow graying and serve as an effective treatment for a dry scalp and dandruff.
My advice: Try adding rosemary to your hair care products, or mix it with a carrier oil and massage it directly into your scalp to facilitate growth.
#15 – Thyme Essential Oil
Like many of the other essential oils on this list, thyme stimulates blood circulation, allowing your hair follicles to absorb all of the vital nutrients it needs.
Those vital nutrients improve hair growth and strengthen hair to prevent breakage and thinning in the future.
Pay attention: Thyme also acts as an astringent, cleaning the follicles and removing sebum buildup that can contribute to hair loss.
Must See Video with More Tips & Tricks
Do you use oils to make your hair beautiful? Let us know your favorite type in the comments section below.