Powerful Homemade Avocado Hair Mask with 7 Benefits
Rich in health-promoting fats, avocados are a healthy addition to any diet – and haircare routine. That’s right, avocados contain vital nutrients that improve the look and feel of your hair (more on that soon).
If you want to add shine and rehydrate your thirsty mane, an avocado mask will do the trick.
The Mixture of 7 Powerful Ingredients
To make the best hair mask based mainly on the avocado, you will need:
- 1/2 – 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Banana
- 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Honey
- 5 – 10 Drops of Essential Oil of Your Choice
You can choose any essential oil you like, but these are the best for your mane and scalp – Rosemary, Lavender, Carrot, Peppermint, Chamomile, or Ylang-Ylang!
The Benefits of an Avocado Mask for Your Hair & Scalp
We’ve provided a recipe for an avocado mask below, and all ingredients on the list have plenty of benefits:
- Avocado – This unique fruit offers an impressive list of nutrients (around 19). The healthy fats add shine and keep the hair moisturized while the remaining nutrients help keep hair healthy and strong. B vitamins are essential for hair growth while vitamin E helps repair scalp damage that can lead to hair loss.
- Banana – Rich in potassium, tryptophan, and other essential nutrients, bananas hydrate the hair and smooth away frizz. They’re also ideal for dry, flaky and itching scalps.
- Egg Yolk – Egg yolks are high in protein and fat, which help keep hair strong, healthy and shiny. They can also add volume to limp hair and prevent breakage.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice will have a natural lightening effect on hair while providing it with vital nutrients, like vitamin C, phosphorous, and vitamin B.
- Olive Oil – When mixed with lemon juice, olive oil can help eliminate dandruff. Like avocados, olive oil contains healthy fats that keep the hair hydrated. It can also prevent split ends and flyaways during the cold winter months.
- Honey – As a humectant, honey attracts moisture to the hair, and helps seal it in. It softens and smooths hair, too.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils can help keep hair healthy and promote growth. Lavender balances scalp oils while rosemary is packed with antioxidants that prevent hair loss. Other essential oils can be beneficial as well, but these two are beloved by DIY beauty experts.
8-Step Guide to Making Your Own Avocado Mask
Ready to dive right in and give it a shot? Here’s a step-by-step guide that is easy to follow:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the avocado and banana with a fork.
- Beat the egg yolk in a separate bowl.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and egg yolk to the avocado/banana mix.
- Add essential oils.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Apply the mask to damp hair.
- Allow it to sit for 20 minutes (you can use a shower cap to keep everything in place).
- Shampoo and condition as normal.
Before you begin making your mask, you will need a bowl and a fork for mashing your avocado / banana and mixing everything together.
5 Tips for Easy Application and Removal of This Mask
- Apply the mask in the bathroom or shower for easy clean-up and to prevent making mess.
- Shampoo after rinsing out the mask. If you have fine hair, shampoo twice.
- Don’t overdo essential oils. Remember, they’re potent. Only use 5-10 drops as recommended.
- Feel free to substitute coconut oil for olive oil if that’s all you have.
- Rinse with cold water to avoid boiling the egg in your hair (once boiled, it is hard to get it out).
Simple Video Guide to Make Yours at Home
Did this mask work for you? Do you need more tips on making or applying this mask? Let me know in the comments section below.