The Perfect Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Do you have damaged hair? Do not worry as you’re not alone.
Dry weather, shampoos, and heating products can leave your hair in a frizz, ends splitting and simply not beautiful.
It takes a lot of work to have the perfect head of hair, and one of the tricks of celebrities is that they’ll use a hair mask to keep their hair in perfect condition.
We’re going to show you how to create your coconut oil hair mask.
Just 5 Ingredients Will Do The Trick
This mask is very easy to do and will not cost you much as it includes just these five ingredients:
- 2 – 4 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Honey
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 5+ Drops of Essential Oil of Your Choice
You can choose any essential oil you like. These do have their own beneficial properties, but they’re used primarily for a lovely scent with a hair mask.
The Power & Secrets of Individual Ingredients
Before I go through the steps to create your hair mask, let’s take a minute to look at all of the ingredients:
- Coconut Oil – This substance has been shown to combat hair loss, and it reduces protein loss in your hair’s follicles. The lauric acid will penetrate its shaft for quick absorption into the follicle.
- Olive Oil – Meant for moisturizing, olive oil will keep your hair and scalp from becoming too dry.
- Honey – Honey is used to thicken the mixture and provides natural antioxidants known to stimulate hair growth. An emollient, honey strengthens follicles, softens hair and prevents moisture loss.
- Egg Yolk – Proteins and amino acids in egg yolks will help add nutrients to your hair. This is ideal for promoting growth. Vitamin A is also abundant in eggs and will improve your hair’s natural moisturizing ability.
With regards to essential oils, you can choose those you like or those providing benefits to your scalp as well. These include essential oils from Rosemary, Lavender, Carrot, Peppermint, Chamomile, or Ylang-Ylang!
Making Your Mask in 3 Easy Steps
Simple and easy, you can make your own hair mask with just three steps:
- Break the egg open and separate the yolk into a bowl.
- Heat up your coconut oil mildly to make it liquid.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until all ingredients have combined to form a thick mixture.
Before you start making your own mask, you will need these two items – a bowl and a whisk or fork to whisk the mixture together.
Tips for Successful & Easy Application
Now you’ll want to start applying your hair mask to your head. I know that doing this for the first time may be a hassle so here are few tips to make your life easier:
- Wet your hair first.
- Place a towel over your shoulders.
- Apply the mask to your hair.
- Put on a shower cap to keep everything in place.
- You want to leave your hair mask on for 30 – 60 minutes before rinsing (removal is often tricky – see my tips below).
If you have oily hair, apply it to just its body and ends. If you hair is thick or dry, apply it from roots to ends, and do not forget on the scalp as well!
Simple Guide for Easy Removal
It’s often tough to remove because of the egg in most cases. I have found the following to work the best:
- Mix one egg with two tablespoons of water.
- Massage the mixture into your hair and let sit for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with cold or lukewarm water.
- Add a teaspoon of castile soap.
Just make sure that you do not use hot water when rinsing. If you do use hot water, you’ll risk cooking the egg into your hair, which is not ideal. Just keep the water cool and rinse thoroughly until the mask is out completely using the tips above.
Watch This Great Video Tutorial
Did this mask work for you? Do you need more tips on making or applying this mask? Let me know in the comments section below.